17.6.07

19th May

Bloody freezing 1st thing this morning so stayed in my bag until 9am. Once up though, the day was clear and bright; almost no wind and not a cloud in the sky.
The usual ice melting performance before breakfast, and then broke camp, leaving at 12:30. The first 100 yds we travelled were a nightmare owing to the deep drift, with the by now familiar lifting cramponed feet out of knee deep holes.
However, once clear of that patch, and once I had repacked my bastard sledge, the rest of the journey was done in lovely weather. (Hope I have applied enough sunblock and lip salve).
We arrived at the 11,070ft. motorcycle hill camp at about 4pm, and found an empty set of tent walls to use, and made camp in a very leisurely fashion. The snow walls and the sun turning this place into an oven; not moaning in the least - it could be bloody freezing, probably will be too, once the sun goes behind the hill.
Motorcycle hill itself looks to be an absolute bastard - steep and unforgiving, with 3 crevasses and I'm not looking forward to it. However, that won't be tomorrow, coz tomorrow is a rest day - just lazing around camp and acclimatizing to the altitude.
I was panting a little earlier, but seem to have caught my breath now.
The nicotine replacement tablets are working a treat at keeping me regular - the idea of having to stop en route to poo doesn't appeal.
The 2 Brits we met on day 4 are here and planning to ascend tomorrow
I'm above the clouds, and the views are stunning.
. Morning at 9,000ft.
.
.

Evening at 11,000ft.

No comments: