18.7.07

1st June

Up at 7.15 to brew up and then over the Yukon Bridge. I waited the other side to get a photo of Murray as he cycled over. Found a .300 magnum rifle cartridge on the ground before I left – have kept it to hand in to the police.

After about 6 miles I came across a section of road about 3 miles long that was being rebuilt – we were taken through in convoy, and Murray, travelling behind, had to put his bike in the back of a pickup and get driven through. After the 1st stop, I tried to collect water from the Hess creek, but it was very muddy and didn’t bother – but I did see what looked like a swallowtail butterfly flit off through the trees.


Parked for second stop with only 14 miles of the Dalton Highway remaining. Big change in plant life as I travel south – birch and aspen are now full size trees and there are lots more insects; although fewer mosquitoes thank god! Third stop at end of Dalton Highway to wait for Murray and another photo – just after he arrived a snowshoe rabbit wandered out of the bushes and nibbled some grass in front of us. I drove as far as the "arctic circle trading post" in joy where all I could buy was coke and dr pepper. They did let me have water though, and free coffee. A chat with the Indian looking girl there made me realize growing up here must be difficult – home school, no other kids for 40 odd miles etc.

Drove back to meet Murray at the Colorado Creek Trailhead, and was just cooking as he arrived, making a superb 74 miles for the day. Should be in Fairbanks for tomorrow (Sat) night at 66 miles away; given that Murray’s knees don’t play up too much. The plan is for the two support stops tomorrow, then I dash ahead to secure hostel accommodation and find a launderette and then meet Murray at the ubiquitous Fred Meyers and then showers, change and beer!

end of the road



snowshoe rabbit


No comments: